also known as
“KIDS GONE? GAME ON!”
TOPICS I'D LOVE TO SHARE WITH YOU:
- Beating the Bed, Bath, Beyond rush.
- How to Move Your Kid Cross-country.
- The Ultimate College Packing Guide.
- Adult Kids And Their 1st Apartment.
- 7 Things You Never Knew About College Dorms.
- Making Move-In Day a WIN.
- Award-Winning Meals Your Kids Want To Come Home To.
I’d love to share, but I really have no idea myself. So please redirect to Google.
The kids will survive without us, but the other way around?
YES. WE. WILL. **shouting for those with the washing machine going.** We just need a plan.
THE EMPTY NEST
PRE-EMPTY NEST GAME PLAN
*Extra Credit for those preparing before the big “test.” Renee, my big sis with a “little” kid, is smart; she’s WilderNest Tribe-in-Training years before her baby flies. Be prepared. Be like Renee.
Renee’s little one: Mason, HS Sophomore
1. Do Something For
- WRITE A SUPER COOL BLOG
Not only will it keep you busy (building a website, navigating ever-changing social media, living for ONE MORE FOLLOWER), it will also put a little kick in your step.
- GROW HERBS
Currently obsessed with my basil plant. But pretty much any herb can bring you joy and flavor, and who doesn’t like having more thyme on their hands. *Sorry, it sounded like sage advice…
Grab a pen & I’ll share my 2 favorite recipes:
1. Mozzarella cheese + grape tomato + BASIL LEAF+ Oil. Put on a stick & enjoy! **Note from Renee; add salt and pepper (that is seriously her cooking mantra, that, and PREHEAT).
2. Adult beverage + BASIL LEAF. Stir & enjoy!
- JUMP ON A COOL JOB
Make sure it’s one of your happy places and they offer a healthy discount.
Places to Avoid: (& you’re welcome)
- Target – That’s just asking for trouble, and you know it Becky!
- Your Kid’s College Bookstore – Time to cut the cord mom. THEY WILL SURVIVE & I’M PRETTY SURE THAT’S STALKING.
- Your Kid’s Former High School – Bless. Give it a victory lap and reassess next semester.
- Local Animal Shelter – Good for you, but again, caution, don’t become the cat-lady, you’ll smell like desperation.
- A Colonoscopy Center – You may make friends, butt you’ll never be able to look them in the eye (sorry for 5-year old humor).
2. Adopt A Fur
A new, sweet pet could fill your time and your heart. You can even enroll in Obedience School and give it the “ole college try” with this one!
BONUS: This baby will never roll their eyes at you, will always welcome a hug and will never tell you their college café has the BEST FOOD EVER. *You will have to pick up poop, but it’s a small price for being their favorite person FOREVER.
Harrison Bailey, giving Mom the “I’m adorable look.” And yes, he did whatever he was begging for. . .
Research finally shows what every girlfriend has known since the beginning of time: women thrive with tribes. Men, we love you, but you just won’t get it, so stay in your lane (did we mention we love you?)
How do we find these mystical, magical groups that will usher us into their open arms? Again: GOOGLE is the bomb.
Tons of local groups that meet face to face in virtually every area of interest. Can’t find one? You can quickly start one on the MeetUp website. “Google Lovers of Raleigh”
- Virtual Groups
I LOVE my online-tribes. They are real. They inspire. They never come over unannounced to my messy house. FaceBook, or as my uber-cool kids call it MomBook, is a great place to find your people.
Become a walking commercial for your favorite brand or store! It’s bonding when you find others with the same passion, and did I mention the extra love you get via ambassador discounts???
It’s a Win-Win-Win! Google that quick!
- Network Marketing
When you love and buy products from a company anyway, well it’s time to shout it to the world! Icing on that multi-layer cake is a passionate tribe to motivate and encourage you. And the PERKS are phenomenal!
- National Associations
Did I mention I just found National Herb Growers Of America? It’s a thing. It’s real. It’s going to expand my repertoire of Food-On-A-Stick & Adult Beverage Mixology.
4. Field Trips
It’s on our calendar and will post photos! I’m thinkin it’s a good idea to hold off if you & your partner are not in a “good” place.
- Farmers Market